- Brief Overview: MAHATMA GANDHI NATIONAL RURAL EMPLOYMENT GUARANTEE SCHEME
The National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, now renamed as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) is the most distinctive flagship scheme taken up by the Ministry of Rural Development. The scheme envisages to enhance livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a financial year to every household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work. The scheme was first introduced in Tamenglong District of Manipur in the year, 2006-07. It was launched on 13th April, 2006 at District Headquarter, Tamenglong by distributing Job cards to registered applicants by the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Manipur. 2 (two) other districts, viz,. Chandel and Churachandpur were covered during 2007-08 and the rest of the 6 (six) districts viz. Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal, Bishnupur, Senapati and Ukhrul got covered during the year, 2008-09. The scheme Is Implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) on cost sharing basis between the Centre and the State in the ratio of 90:10.
As required under NREGA, the Government of Manipur formulated a scheme called the “Manipur Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MREGS).” The Act has been · notified in the Manipur Gazette Extra Ordinary on 25th May 2009. The scheme has now been renamed as Mahatma Gandhi NREGS w.e.f 2nd October 2009.
- Permissible works under the Scheme are as given below:
- Water conservation and water harvesting including contour trenches, contour bunds, boulder checks, gabion structures, underground dykes, earthen dams, stop dams and springshed development;
- Drought proofing including afforestation and tree plantation;
- Irrigation canals including micro and minor irrigation works;
- Provision of irrigation facility, dug out farm pond, horticulture, plantation, farm bunding and land development on land owned by households specified in paragraph 1C of Schedule I;
- Renovation of traditional water bodies including desilting of tanks;
- Land development;
- Flood control and protection works including drainage in water logged areas including deepening and repairing of flood channels, chaur renovation, construction of storm water drains for coastal protection;
- Rural connectivity to provide all weather access, including culverts and roads within a village, wherever necessary;
- Construction of Bharat Nirman Rajiv Gandhi Sewa Kendra as Knowledge Resource Centre at the Block level and as Gram Panchayat Bhawan at the Gram Panchayat level;
- Agriculture related works, such as, NADEP composting, vermi-composting, liquid bio-manures;
- Livestock related works, such as, poultry shelter, goat shelter, construction of pucca floor, urine tank and fodder trough for cattleshed, azolla as cattle-feed supplement;
- Fisheries related works, such as, fisheries in seasonal water bodies on public land;
- Works in coastal areas, such as, fish drying yards, belt vegetation;
- Rural drinking water related works, such as, soak pits, recharge pits;
- Rural sanitation related works, such as, individual household latrines, school toilet units, anganwadi toilets, solid and liquid waste management;
- Construction of anganwadi centre
- Construction of playfields
- Any other work which may be notified by the Central Government in consultation with the State Government Under the scheme, 119.03 lakhs persondays have been generated in the 9(nine) districts during the financial year, 2013-14.
- GEOTAGGING OF ASSET CREATED UNDER MGNREGS:
GeoMGNREGA is a unique endeavour of the Ministry of Rural Development in association with National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), ISRO and National Informatics Centre.
The objective of GeoMGNREGA is to create a Geographical Information System (GIS) solution to visualize, analyze and explore the data of assets created under MGNREGA. It essentially enables to view the assets created under MGNREGA across India on a map. GeoMGNREGA leverages ‘Bhuvan’, the software platform developed by National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) of ISRO for this purpose. Data of assets is taken from the NREGASoft application of Ministry of Rural Development. The unique capabilities of NREGASoft and Bhuvan are integrated into one Geospatial Asset Management & Planning tool and is named as ‘GeoMGNREGA’. In pursuance of the objectives of GeoMGNREGA, the State has also started geotagging of all the assets created since inception of MGNREG from FY 2016-17.
- IMPLEMENTATION OF e-PAYMENT UNDER MGNREGS:
The specific objective of Electronic Fund Management System (e-FMS) is to automate all processes involved in crediting the accounts of the beneficiaries. This will lead to reduction in time required for wage processing and payments. Automation of processes will eventually lead to real-time availability of data at all levels of governance for strategic decision making. e-FMS will act as seamless payment mechanism which will automatically ensure fund transfer and crediting of funds into beneficiaries accounts leveraging the Core Banking infrastructure (NEFT/RTGS) of banks. The system will ensure right amount in right accounts in time. Successful implementation of the project across the country would do away with large number of bank accounts that are currently being operated by the Gram Panchayats and other Implementing Agencies all over the country as payments would be credited to the accounts of beneficiaries from an e-FMS Account. This would also take care of the problem of large unspent opening balances.
The Department has started implementation of e-FMS on wage component of MGNREGS in the 4(four) valley districts viz., Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal & Bishnupur Districts of the State covering 161( One hundred & Sixty one) GPs.
- Guidelines: PDF to be uploaded for each plan and program. http://nrega.nic.in/Circular_Archive/archive/Report_Capacity_Building_Report.pdf
- Monthly Progress Report: Under Construction
- Office Memorandum: Under Construction
- Orders: Under Construction
- Rules: Under Construction
- Acts: Under Construction
- Sanction Orders: Under Construction
- Annual Reports: Under Construction
MIS Link: Under Construction